Youth ministry needs to be at the heart of church strategy
These 9 things are not an exhaustive list but inspired by our audit into youth work in Bath and our research Shaping Church to Disciple Young People they are:
- Include youth ministry in leadership meetings – on the agenda if there is one
- Invite the lead worker or volunteer to report back to at least 2-3 leadership meetings each year
- Include young people and the youth work team in strategic decisions – whether they are about youth work directly or not e.g. building projects, church leader recruitment
- Offer some support or line management meetings for workers whether volunteers or youth workers
- Church leaders should attend and even lead some youth work each year – this will be good for church leader, their relationships with young people and the workers. It often happens in small churches but less so in larger settings. That is not a good excuse.
- Resource youth ministry well and it will have a positive impact
- Set a youth work budget and let the volunteers / workers decide how it is spent
- Put praying for young people as a priority for the whole church
- Review youth ministry, celebrating the past year and looking ahead to the next year, EVERY YEAR.